Monday, January 07, 2008

New Class Starting Today!

I'm taking another Stanford Continuing Studies workshop this term. This one is "Fiction For Experienced Writers," which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. I'm pretty excited, as it's been over a year since my last fiction workshop (the wonderful "Fabulist Fiction" class). In the meantime, of course, I've been working with our New Fables group, so I haven't been lacking in workshoppy goodness, but it's always nice to be exposed to a new group of writers. We'll see how the fabulist/spec fic stuff goes over with this group.

By the way, if you're not in the area or can't spend the money/time to take a class on campus, you can download some classes from Stanford (and other universities) on iTunes U. I've very much enjoyed the lectures I've gotten from there--my favorites are the "why people do evil things" and the series on Benjamin Franklin (who might be in the running to be my new role model).

I'll keep updating as the class goes on. Meanwhile, I can't overstate the value of workshops in general to help develop both your writing and critiquing skills. Being part of a writerly community is a great way to spark your writing, and learning how to critique other people's work helps you think more critically about your own.

No comments: